City Wide After School Program:
In response to a community need to engage middle school students in a successful high-quality after school program, Communities In Schools, Aurora University’s Institute for Collaboration and community partners: The City of Aurora, the Fox Valley Park District, School Districts 129, 131, 204, and 308 and other public and private organizations have designed and developed a collaborative city-wide after school program named MyTime.
This free after school program for middle/junior high school students is designed to ultimately engage the city’s preadolescent students in positive activities beyond the school day. Through a mix of recreational, arts and enrichment activities, the program nurtures positive interpersonal relationships among students and actively engages them. The program offers age-appropriate learning opportunities, including tutoring and games designed to improve math and reading skills, plus recreational activities, community-based services and other experiences, and fine art opportunities. Any student attending an Aurora public middle school or junior high school has the opportunity to participate in the program designed by students, for students and is encouraged to enroll in the program. Signed parental consent is required for enrollment.
Communities In Schools is the fiscal and programmatic manager of the MyTime city wide after school program. The roles of CIS staff is to recruit and schedule community agencies and organizations to provide curriculum based programs as well as coordinate and administer all operations of the MyTime Program, including employ and schedule AU student leaders to work in the program, and schedule and organize busing for the AU student leaders to and from Aurora University.
The following assets characterize the program:
- Commitment to learning, which includes achievement, motivation, homework completion, school engagement, links to the school, reading for pleasure, and math competence
- Constructive use of time, which includes participation in creative and fun activities
- Support, which includes individualized attention, positive family communication, a caring environment, and positive adult relationships
- Social competence, which includes interpersonal competence, cultural competence, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Boundaries and expectations, which includes high expectations and adult role models
- Positive identity, which includes self-esteem, personal power, and a positive view of the future
This academic school year we will have the MyTime program at nine middle school sites. Enrollment forms are available at the school’s main office.
Herget Middle School
Jefferson Middle School
Cowherd Middle School
Simmons Middle School
Waldo Middle School
Bednarcik Junior High School
Fischer Middle School
Still Middle School
For more information please contact:
Director of Programming